Thursday, October 04, 2007

Dah-dee

I'm not big on "monthiversaries." I am happy to celebrate anniversaries because anniversary is a real word. It's kind of like 6th grade or 8th grade "graduation." I guess you can celebrate any small incremental change, but I would reserve the word graduation for high school or college. But anyway, the other day when my wife reminded me that it had been six months to the day that we were united with Sera, I had to think about it. In six months I have watched Sera go from having to be propped up on pillows to not only walking but climbing stairs. She has changed so much physically she sometimes doesn't even appear to be the same girl that we met in April. And I have suddenly been promoted from the title of Dada to Dah-dee. When Magi took Sera to school yesterday we had to drive separately because I had parent-teacher conferences. Ordinarily I pick them up in the PT Cruiser (Paid off as of last night! Woohoo!) and Mama and Sera watch for Dada outside the building. Sera knows the PT Cruiser when she sees it. So yesterday when Magi picked Sera up from day care, Sera pointed out the door and asked, "Dah-dee?" Magi had to explain that I was still at work.

I can't believe that my little girl is growing up so fast. She repeats things now. Before she had a vocabulary of about 15 words and signs. Now she just says whatever we say. I was getting ready to put her in her inflatable duck bathtub on Tuesday night and I said, "Are you ready for Ducky?" Next thing you know, "Duck-key" is coming out of her mouth. When we ask her questions with an affirmative answer now, she doesn't just nod. She says, "Yeah." I guess we have to get to work being careful about saying "Yes, sir" and Yes, ma'am" now. Our daughter will grow up respecting adults. My wife is very southern about this, and I'm okay with it. I didn't grow up that way, but I would never claim that my upbringing was superior in any way. I learned my lessons through the care of teachers. I had some really good ones.

On Tuesday, when we got home, our neighborhood kids were out playing in the cul-de-sac. It's hilarious; out of five surrounding houses with children under six, there are eight girls and only two boys. I half-joked that we need to get them playing softball and basketball right now so that when they're all in high school together, they can play as a unit. Sera always wants to go out and see the other kids, but she was shy and wasn't quite ready to get down on the ground with them just yet.

But it won't be long.

No comments: