Sunday, June 15, 2008

Church Signs

There is a church in nearby Mishawaka whose signs just kill me. It seems like each week they say something more outrageous than the one before. This one was especially entertaining to me, because I am an atheist. I respect other people's right to believe how they choose, but it seems like it doesn't always go both ways. When I am asked in class about my beliefs, I am reluctant to express them, because it always invites a debate that I am not about to have. I like working too much. While Christian teachers often engage students in public schools on the subject without repercussion, atheists don't have that same luxury.

I'm reminded of Jon Stewart's quote: "Yes, the long war on Christianity. I pray that one day we may live in an America where Christians can worship freely! In broad daylight! Openly wearing the symbols of their religion.... perhaps around their necks? And maybe - dare I dream it? - maybe one day there can be an openly Christian President. Or, perhaps, 43 of them. Consecutively. "




1 comment:

Martin Maenza said...

Jim, that is an interesting church sign. Keep us posted if you see any more that they put up.