Friday, March 13, 2009

The DC Explosion

Newsarama reports that several DC titles will be bumped up from $2.99 to $3.99, but will now include backup stories featuring characters who can't quite hold their own books. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm reminded of the DC Explosion of 1978, where, let's see now...several titles were cancelled and their characters became backup features in books whose prices jumped from $0.35 to $.50.

How did that work out, again? They quickly dumped the idea and the books retreated to a more reasonable $0.40 level and readership dropped because people could afford fewer of the titles they were buying and when the titles dropped in price, too many fans had found a jumping off point.
So basically, they're going to try the same thing again during the "worst economic crisis since the Great Depression."
I wonder how it will turn out this time.

2 comments:

Martin Maenza said...

I read both Booster Gold and Teen Titans - so I get to dole out the extra $1 if I want to enjoy these books. Nice. I don't mind the Ravager back-up as I like that. But, I've not been a big follower of the new Blue Beetle so I'll have to pay for something I don't look forward to reading (yet).

KC Ryan said...

I guess it's economic neccessity time.
After all, look what's happened to the news magazines and newspapers. Several papers outta business, and US News now, what, a monthly? If it's still published?
Kudos to DC for at least trying something...
I kind of liked those back up stories in the old days, myself.