Sunday, January 04, 2009

The Annual Font Sale

As I mentioned here, I am a big fan of using different fonts. Working on my book, which has superheroes in it, I love comic book fonts. And this year, like every year, I had to get a couple of fonts from Comicraft, which has a sale every New Year's Day, selling all of their fonts for an amount that coincides with the year. This year, all of their fonts were $20.09. Here's the two I got:

The first one, Biffbamboom, is based on the sound effects lettered by Artie Simek for Marvel in the 1960s. The other one, Phases On Stun, is a more science fictiony font that is used to letter the sound effects in the Image comic, Invincible. It's reminiscent of some of the lettering John Workman did in Walt Simson's legendary run on Thor.
I already have the lettering font I want to use for dialogue, and I wanted to have options for sound effects. These two are pretty great. I wonder what they'll have next year...

1 comment:

Michael O'Connell said...

Grrrr. I was literally too broke this year. It's a shame. I usually spend about a hundred bucks on New Year's Day there. But since the Nice Guy ain't been out LATELY, and I haven't had to letter anything, I decided it was best to pass this year. I've got enough to tide me over. And I have and love both the new ones you picked up. Both are AWEsome and have all kinds of uses.