Thursday, January 29, 2009

"Hulk Smash Claw People!"

I bought the Hulk vs. DVD today, and watched the first disc, Hulk vs. Wolverine. All I can say is that that you've never seen Wolverine like this before...on video. There are amputations, blood by the gallon, and mass slaughter.

That said, there were good elements of the video as well. There are classic Wolverine lines like, "I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do isn't very nice." There are classic screen shots, like the McFarlane image of the Hulk reflected in Wolverine's claws:



In a flashback we get to see a quick origin story ala Barry Windsor Smith's Weapon X. The fights are well worthwhile, evocative of classic Wolverine/Sabertooth matchups of the past, as in this movie Wolverine takes on some of his greatest enemies, including Sabertooth, Lady Deathstrike, Omega Red, and...er, well, Deadpool too.

It never fails to amaze me how Wolverine went from a guy with unbreakable bones and a healing factor that would allow him to recover from a sword wound in a few months to an unstoppable, nigh-invulnerable fighting machine who can be punched literally miles through the air without his little squishy brain running out of his ears. The battle between the Hulk and Wolverine rages throughout the Canadian Rockies, which I think the Hulk actually breaks at one point. It's too bad because the background paintings were beautiful!

Kudos also go to Jeff Matsuda, who designed the characters for this movie. Watching the special features, I love the detail he provides in describing the designs. You get to see turnarounds for the main characters and some sketches as well, which as I've said before, is my favorite part of animation and comics work.
As usually happens in Marvel films, you'll want to watch all the way through the credits for a little bonus shot at the end.


Tomorrow: Hulk vs. Thor!

No comments: