Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"The Prisoner" was "Lost"

I've just been watching the first episode of Patrick McGoohan in "The Prisoner" at AMC's site, and I was immediately struck by the similarities between that classic cult show and another newer one, "Lost."

I guess it's been 20 years since I last saw "The Prisoner," but as soon as I saw the bouncing ball sentry, the thing roared with the same sound as the smoke monster from "Lost." But the thing that really got me was the pantry in #6's apartment. All of the food had Village Foods labels, just as in the hatch, the Dharma Initiative has their own food labels. Then when I started looking at it thematically, people trapped on an island where the storyline provides more questions than answers is basically what "The Prisoner" is about, too.

I guess it just goes to show you that there really are no original ideas left.

Be seeing you!

No comments: