Friday, September 21, 2007

Fonts

I am a huge fan of fonts. Times New Roman and Arial just get dry after a while. When I make worksheets for my eighth graders, I switch them up a lot just to make the work more interesting. I always wanted to be able to letter comic books myself, and now I can.

Comicraft is a company owned by Richard Starkings and is responsible for the lettering and sound effects of a huge number of comic book titles. Their website not only has hundreds of fonts, but also tips on how to produce the effects in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. I used one of those tips to slightly alter my blog title today. The first time I bought one of their products, I picked up the Zap Pack on a 3.5" floppy disk. The Zap Pack contained a number of valuable things: A font called Wild and Crazy (pictured) as well as a sound effects font and .eps files to make various word balloons. I used this one for a long time, but it was somewhat limited in that there were no parentheses, which are fairly important for math, and a few other symbols were missing as well. I would often have to substitute other fonts just to get those symbols and it sometimes wasn't a good match.
One great thing that Comicraft does is an annual sale on fonts where the price of every font in their inventory is the same as the year, expressed in cents. A lot of their fonts are normally very expensive for a teacher's salary. At New Year's this year, I'm expecting all their fonts to be $20.08. Each year I budget some of my Christmas money for a new one. When the font from my favorite comic book, Astro City (left) debuted, I jumped on it.

Another site that I use is Blambot. Blambot has some inexpensive lettering and sound effects fonts as well as some free ones. From Blambot I got the font that I use for headings on my comic book worksheets. Here is BadaboomBB:

When I was running a role-playing game campaign similar in feel and design to Batman: The Animated Series, I had to dig to find the name of the font that they used in the titles. I eventually found and used it. It's called Andes.

I'm always seeing new fonts that I like and I make it a challenge to find out what they're called!

No comments: