Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Yatta!

Hiro Nakamura's favorite exclamation has made its way into our house.
After I watched the Heroes DVD set a few weeks ago, I showed a clip from it in my classroom. Hiro used the word "homogenous" when speaking to Ando and I wanted my students to see that I wasn't just making the word up. They saw Hiro shouting, "Yatta!" and wondered what that was all about. I looked it up, and apparently it is short for the Japanese word, "yarimashita," which translates to "I did it!" Next thing you know, my students are celebrating every success with raised hands and a mighty "Yatta!" much to the chagrin of my fellow teachers.

When Sera was climbing the stairs on her way to bed the other day, she made it all the way to the top and I raised my hands and yelled "Yatta!" She started giggling, so I did it again. With a smile still on her face, she repeated as best she could, "ah-TAH!" I just about lost it. I swear, my daughter is the cutest being on the face of the planet.

No comments: