Sunday, June 17, 2007

RiffTrax


If you were a fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K) as I was, then do yourself a favor and try out RiffTrax. Rifftrax offers supplemental soundtracks to popular movies using the voices of Michael Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett, three veterans of MST3K. The trio simply rip movies apart while you watch them, and believe me, some of these movies deserve it. RiffTrax works by basically downloading an MP3 file and playing it on your computer while you play the DVD on a DVD player. You synch up the two tracks and off you go. There is an occasional mechanical voice called Disembaudio reading a line of dialogue along with the movie so you can make sure that they are still running concurrently.

The main differences between MST3K and RiffTrax is that you don't see Mike and the Robots in silhouette, and they riff on recent movies. Over winter recess I listened to their impressions of Star Wars Episode I and I just about fell off my chair laughing. Tonight I'm watching Episode II with their comments:

Padme: "You are a Jedi and I am a senator. If this follows to its natural conclusion we'll end up in a place where we cannot go."

Mike from RiffTrax: "Cuba?"

If you like that kind of humor, then try RiffTrax.

--------------------------


I'd wish my father a happy Father's Day here, but he doesn't have a computer!




No comments: