Tuesday, June 12, 2007

No-No!

Justin Verlander is an outstanding young pitcher for the Detroit Tigers. What he did tonight left me speechless. He threw a no-hitter. He didn't throw it against a terrible offense. He didn't throw it against a last place team. He threw a no-hitter against the Milwaukee Brewers, the first place team in the National League Central Division. He struck out twelve batters. He struck out Tony Graffanino four times. This is the first no-hitter by a Tiger since Jack Morris threw one against the Chicago White Sox in 1984. I saw that one, too.

In my life, I played in two no-nos in high school and have seen one in person against the South Bend Silverhawks. But this one is special. I made a special trip to Comerica Park last year just to see Justin pitch during his rookie season. I took the above photograph at that game. And since he was the American League Rookie of the Year last year, I sure am glad I made the trip.

In the ninth inning, with the whole crowd standing, the cheers had to have been deafening. Having been in Comerica during the playoffs, it brought memories flooding back to me and tears to my eyes.

I love this game.

No comments: