Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hot Serial

In the late 70s, I used to watch a show on WGTU channel 29 called "Hot Serial." Shown at 11:00 each night, "Hot Serial" featured a nightly chapter in an old movie serial, like Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe, or Radar Men from the Moon, featuring Commando Cody. It was a great show to watch when you only had a 9" black and white television, since the serials were filmed in black and white anyway! The titles for the syndicated program always started with a bowl of steaming cereal suspended by wires, flying around the screen.

I received a set of Flash Gordon serials that I had purchased for my dad, and I'm watching them now, thinking back to when we lived in my grandparents' basement. Good times, hot serial.

2 comments:

KC Ryan said...

Heh. Hot Cereal. Gosh, I wish they'd run that show up here.

Zephyrad said...

Hey! I don't recall a flying cereal bowl... I remember a Delta Dart (styrofoam glider, that resembled the Space Shuttle) circling in front of an Apollo 8 moonscape photo. (I used to watch "Hot Serial" also... "The Crimson Ghost", and of course those Flash Gordon movies!) Did they change the opener?