Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Back in Black

Okay, so I didn't have all of my software reinstalled. As it turns out, I had to search for the registration number for Photoshop, find and purchase a decoder for my DVD drive, and install and uninstall drivers for my graphics card to make City of Heroes look right. It's still not right, but at least I can play it. Apparently, the newest driver for the card has errors for everyone who installs it. The errors are fixed by reverting back to an older driver, but wouldn't you know, my disc is buried in a plastic tote somewhere in the basement and I don't feel like spending hours to find it. I'll just have to make do with water surfaces and building faces that have stripes on them for no apparent reason until Nvidia fixes their driver.
I've said before that I don't like technology for technology's sake, but I do love what it can do for my quality of life. iPods, noise-cancelling headphones, love them! Call waiting, not so much.

That said, here's a new twist that my wife and I have added to our lives, and it's incredibly low-tech. Over vacation we both bought French presses. A French press is a carafe for making coffee that allows you to mix and filter the coffee right in the pot! Basically, you pour hot water into the carafe, stir in coarsely ground coffee, and let it sit for four minutes. Then you push down on the plunger/filter handle, which forces the grounds to the bottom of the carafe, leaving the coffee in the upper part. Pour it into a cup and drink. I swear it makes the best cup of coffee that I have ever had! It's smooth, not bitter at all, and it's simple! The cleanup can be a little complicated if you are in a classroom with no running water, but it's worth it. You do have to be careful about how you grind your beans, too. If you buy coffee already ground for drip coffee makers, it's too fine and will get caught in the filter. Fortunately most stores have grinders with a French press setting.
If you are a coffee drinker, you have to give this device a try. You won't regret it!

No comments: