Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Big Boy Mexican Fiesta Omelette

Since I was a teenager, one of my favorite breakfasts has been Big Boy's Mexican Fiesta Omelette. When I was 18, we ate at Big Boy in Cadillac, Michigan virtually every night. My dad and I would take my grandmother to the end of the street where we all lived and have dinner together. I would eat this omelette even at night. It'll kill you, don't get me wrong, but it's wonderful. Sadly, we no longer have a Big Boy anywhere within 50 miles of us, so I have to make them myself!

Essentially the omelette consists of three eggs, cheese, and chili, topped with diced tomatoes and onions. It took me many iterations to figure out the process to keep the chili from mixing too much with the eggs. But fortunately, I spent many months working as a short-order breakfast cook in the cafeteria at Western Michigan University, and was allowed quite a bit of freedom when making breakfast for myself at the end of my shifts. One of the items we were always offered back then for lunch was chili, and I would grab a ladle full compliments of the ladies in the kitchen to experiment with. I finally figured out how it worked, and I have made great omelettes ever since.

Preheat your omelette pan at low-medium and warm up some canned chili in a small saucepan. Then whisk three eggs together. It is essential to get them mixed thoroughly so that they don't separate in the pan. As the eggs begin to solidify, sprinkle a bit of shredded cheese (I like Colby Jack) over the surface of the eggs. Dice half a tomato and some onions while the eggs cook. When there's no more liquid left on the top of your eggs, spoon your chili over half of them. You're going to fold the other half and you don't want to slop it everywhere!

After you fold your eggs, slide the semi-circular omelette to the middle of the pan and sprinkle more cheese on top. When the cheese is almost done melting, plate the omelette. Layer the diced tomatoes and onions over the top. The cheese will keep melting from the heat of the eggs, so by the time that you serve it, it should be perfect!

This omelette is even good with Egg Beaters, so if you avoid eggs you can still enjoy this!

No comments: