Monday, August 13, 2007

Mike Wieringo

As I mentioned in this post, my ideal artist for an all-ages comic book is Mike Wieringo. Sadly, Mike passed away yesterday of a heart attack at the age of 44. I feel like I have lost a close friend. Mike blogged every other day at his own website, http://www.mikewieringo.com/ and posted a sketch of whatever character he felt like warming up with. He described his art with such humility and love that you just couldn't help loving it too. Just last week, I scoured the back issue bins at our local comic book store for back issues of Robin that Mike had drawn. This week I had used one of his Fantastic Four images (at right) to make a worksheet. He had grown so much as an artist in such a short time as a mainstream professional. I wish he'd had thirty more years to draw. But you know what, it still wouldn't have been enough for me.

I already miss him.

No comments: