Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Disc Golf



I've been playing disc golf for 20 years now, on and off. My buddy Eric introduced me to the game when I moved to Michigan City back in 1989, and we spent many an enjoyable day at Madeline Bertrand park in Niles, Michigan. For those not familiar with the game, basically you throw rubber discs, sort of like Frisbees but with much slimmer profiles and more mass toward a goal consisting of a basket suspended from a metal pole with link chains hanging from the top to catch the disc. You try to use the minimum number of throws to get the disc in the goal, and the lower your score the better.

I hadn't played in a few years, but my recent surge of activity has gotten me out to play quite a few rounds already this year. We've played Wilson Park, Madeline Bertrand Park, and I've played Ferettie-Baugo Creek three times this week. It helps that Ferettie-Baugo Creek is right by my house, and I bought a season pass so I can play all summer long for $30. The courses by us are typically a mile or so long when you add up the hole distances, and the game provides a very nice walk in the woods. Some of the holes go through narrow groves of trees, and some cover 600 feet of open space.

It's going to be interesting to see if I can get back to the form I had when I was stronger ten years ago and to see if accuracy can overcome age!

1 comment:

Rose McClain said...

I remember playing that! I had a lot of fun.