Thursday, November 27, 2008

Poor Atheists!

I saw a church sign today that made me smile. It said:

"Poor atheists! They have so much to be thankful for and no one to thank!"

I don't have to believe in a god to appreciate my life. I don't have to go to church to love my family and be a decent citizen. I don't have to read a bible to know what's right and wrong. I don't have to fear hell to do the right thing. And I sure as heck don't give a second thought about celebrating Thanksgiving despite my lack of religious belief. One thing my atheism has taught me is to respect others' beliefs (or lack thereof). Apparently that's a lesson lost on the pastor of at least one church in our area.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

1 comment:

Jeff McClain said...

As Robin Williams said in Robots, Hooooooboy.

I took a class once that was taught by a woman that was studying for her doctorate at Oral Roberts University. During this class, I tolerated more than 10 different instances of religious reference, both by the instructor and students. I finally put my foot down and told them all that it was fantastic that they believe what they believe, but I don't want to, or have to, hear about it. Some of the people (not the instructor) went ballistic, typing in all caps about how their god was this and that. I calmly replied, again, that that was great, but I don't want to hear about it. I politely reminded them of the First Amendment and offered to send them a copy. I then asked them if they would be as polite as I if I posted a praise to satan. No response.

I have found that the only people that truly believe in the principles published in the bible are atheists. Not because we have to, but because we understand why the principles were introduced in the first place...basic human relations. We tend to be more considerate and have more integrity than any religious person that I've encountered. Is it the 'get out of jail free' card that Christianity hands out? How many Christians do you know that actually try to change their behavior instead of just saying, "I'll just pray for forgiveness later." I call that justification for behavior that is known to be wrong. Atheists actually tolerate other religions and people's right to believe what they want. Some of us (myself excluded, depending on who it is) will even let someone preach to them in order to let the person present their beliefs, out of courtesy.
I would have a hard time being a part of a group where it's forbidden to ask questions or decide what I think. I don't really view myself as an atheist; I prefer to consider myself a "free thinker".
Wow, I just realized that this country has become much like the England that our founding fathers left...yikes.

All that being said, this is not an invitation to an argument to anyone. There's nothing to argue.