Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Blue State?

I can't believe I'm in a blue state today. Indiana hasn't voted Democratic for president since before I was born. I've lived here for 19 years and have always looked around and seen red, and yet today it's clearly not.

I always feel somewhat alone, being a Michigan transplant. I'm usually the only guy I see walking around wearing a Detroit Tigers cap. If I see someone else wearing Tigers gear, I always make a point of stopping to talk to them. They're usually either from Michigan, or a transplant like me. When I go to Michigan for a visit, I always feel more comfortable because I see other people with the same interests. I feel that same loneliness sometimes as someone who leans liberal in a state that always goes conservative, at least in presidential politics. I don't feel that way today, at least for the moment.

This might be the first step in feeling at home in the state where I've lived for so long.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm happy for you Jim. I'm still an outsider in Utah. It's a red state. UGH. And too many Mormons. Not much I can do about either, but I still wear my Tigers/Michigan shirts LOL!! (I dont wear hats unless I absolutely HAVE to)

Michael O'Connell said...

I THOUGHT I lived in a blue(ish) state. Now they just announced that Proposition 8 officially passed...

Jeff McClain said...

Finally, someone is starting to wake up over there. I have heard more horror stories about the economy in the last 3 months than I thought I would ever hear again, after 9/11's crash. I'm not hearing them from one place either; they're from CA to ME to TX to FL and everywhere in between. I hope the oil company execs and banking moguls are happy...the money they raked in during the real estate binge came from somewhere...and it looks like that somewhere is going to ultimately be our taxes (?!) Someone's going to have to explain to me how that works...but I digress.
I'm proud to say that my brother lives in Indiana, and he's one of the people who helped turn it blue. Now if someone could explain to me where all these wackos came from that think sending out wildly fallacious anti-Obama emails is a productive way to spend their time...

Jim McClain said...

Speaking of anti-Obama mailings, the Indiana Republican Party sent you several snail mailings at this address. Want me to save them for you?