Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Good Day for Comics

I saw a couple of good items today in comic book news. First, the Marvel Adventures titles are being rebranded and relaunched. There is a definite call in my household for all-ages comics that aren't just based on cartoon shows and these will fit the bill nicely.

Second, Gail Simone will be writing a new Birds of Prey series, with Ed Benes doing the art. I really like Gail Simone as a writer, especially of female characters, so this is even more good news. It's another monthly book I can read, which brings my current total to something like five.

I hope that this trend continues and the big two companies figure out that grim and gritty titles with multiple rapes and eviscerations only takes a company so far before long-suffering potential readers simply give up and walk away.

On the other hand, I've read that in the Titans book from DC, the team will be led by Deathstroke, the Terminator. That's sort of like George Lucas saying that in the new Star Wars television show, the rebellion will now be led by Boba Fett. I'll be quiet now. I wouldn't want to give him any ideas.

1 comment:

KC Ryan said...

I too look forward to Birds of Prey.
Darn - and here I thought i was just getting OUT of comics. Between that and First Wave...