Friday, March 28, 2008

Change of Heart

I wrote three posts that were reminiscences of our trip to China last year, but I deleted them today. Have you ever written something from your memory only to find that your writing of the memory changes the essence of the memory itself? I have that problem sometimes. I will reread something that I have written and the description somehow taints the memory. That's one of the main reasons I haven't written that much about my childhood. I don't want my writings of that experience to alter the way I remember it. It's too important and so is the way I met my daughter.

It's funny how it's not the same for reading my wife's blog. When I go back and read her descriptions of the trip, I remember it with more clarity, if anything. I suppose when I'm reading her writing I am looking at it critically, comparing it to my own recollections. But when I am trying to pull up a thought of my own to transcribe, the images undergo a process that changes the way I see them in my mind. It's weird, but it's the way my brain works.

1 comment:

Michael O'Connell said...

And here I was, waiting until the weekend when I'd have some time, to sit down and read those. And then I pull up your blog...and they're gone! :) Good thing I waited, then. If you don't want 'em read, darnit, then I ain't gonna read 'em! I respect a man's blogging choices!

Come to think about it, maybe I should delete that "runnig" post of mine before the cops get back on my trail after all these years...