Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day

I got up early this morning and prepared French Toast for my family for Mother's Day. It's my wife's first Mother's Day and she's been waiting an awfully long time for it, so I wanted it to be special. I usually make breakfast on the weekends, but French Toast with powdered sugar and real maple syrup just seemed like the right thing to do for a special day. Sera loves French Toast, by the way. But then again, she likes pretty much everything!

When my wife suggested that we go to a baseball game today for her first Mother's Day I thought I was having audible hallucinations. When I asked her why, she said that it was a nice way to spend the afternoon outside where we could all be together. Not being a fool, I quickly agreed.

What a nice afternoon it was. The South Bend Silverhawks are our local low-A minor league team. They are affiliated with the Arizona Diamondbacks. Several of the current Diamondbacks are former Silverhawks, as are many other players around the major leagues. Diamondback players include Brandon Webb, Miguel Montero, Chad Tracy, and Scott Hairston. Other teams' former Silverhawks include David Dellucci (Cleveland), Brad Penny (LA Dodgers), Chris Capuano (Milwaukee), Dan Uggla (Florida) and Lyle Overbay (Toronto) just to name a few.

The weather was very nice, with sunshine to make up for slightly brisk temperatures, and the Silverhawks pounded the Lansing Lugnuts 7-1. Sera made it through all nine innings this time, having the time of her life being passed back and forth between us. Magi received a pink Silverhawks cap just for being there.

Sera also received a little gift as the Silverhawks' mascot Swoop tossed her a stuffed Aflac duck.


Swoop was probably trying to make up for Sera's last encounter with him when the big, mangy bird terrified her. But then if you looked like this, wouldn't you scare a one-year old? Heck, I'm 42 and he frightens me!


Well, I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish my wife a very special first Mother's Day. I can't imagine a better mother for Sera than she has been already in this very short time!

No comments: